Thread: Bowel problem

Bowel problem

Hi,
    It is my first time being pregnant and I just want to ask if it would be bad to the baby if I am having a constipation? What I mean is that whenever I am doing my business in the toilet, I sometimes overstrain myself just to let out what I am supposed to let out.

Hi megken22,

Constipation during pregnancy is common due to high levels of progesterone which is necessary to sustain pregnancy.

Progesterone has a relaxing effect on muscles, and this includes the muscles of the intestines which move food out of the body.

You are wise to be concerned about how constipation affects your baby, but it's not so much in the "straining" during bowel movements, as it is the fact that you're not moving toxins out of your body fast enough.

You need to be having 2 to 3 really good bowel movements a day (not just a few pellets). When you become constipated, the toxins in your feces are reabsorbed back into your blood stream, exposing baby to more toxins.

You can do the following to help soften the stool:

- Drink plenty of water, aim for half of your body weight in ounces (i.e. if you are 100 lbs., drink 50 oz. of water each day). This is the easiest, least expensive way to soften your stools.

- Eat at least one very large green salad with lots of vegetables each day.

- Add dark greens into your diet. Chlorophyll (which makes the greens "green" helps to soften the stool).

- Drink a green smoothie each day

- If you're taking any iron pills, these are constipating, so you should talk to your doctor about an alternative.

I also wanted to mention that the more you strain while going to the lu, the larger your chances of getting hemhorroids either during pregnancy or when you are pushing during birth. I would encourage you to work really hard to resolve the constipation now so you don't have bigger problems later.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Please post back and let me know if you found any of this helpful.

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I already talked to my doctor about this problem and she said the I could take a medicine with a laxative effect. I did but still, I only defecate twice or thrice a week.

Hi MegKen22,

Have you been able to add any more fruits and/or vegetables into your diet since I made some suggestions? Is it helping? Have you been able to drink more water? How are you feeling?

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi,

Yes I have been drinking and eating lots of fruits lately especially pineapple and it helped my condition. I have been defecating daily now without any problems and constipation. I also asked my physician for an advised and she told me to take senokot twice a day at night.

So glad things have improved for you and your baby. Thanks for the update!

Kate