Hybrid View

Is homebirthing a good choice?

Hello everyone! I just would like to have some insights on, do homebirths offer a more advantage way for delivering a baby, considering that the room to be utilized for delivery is a non-sterile area, plus, the equipment/devices to be needed in case of emergency complications are not readily available.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

These are probably some of the first questions that comes to mind when people think about homebirth and so I'll share my insights on why I chose to have a homebirth 5 times, over hospital births.

Regarding your comment that the room in a hospital where a baby is delivered is sterile. Unless you are in an operating theatre (operating room), the room where you deliver in a hospital is not sterile. Some of the equipment and supplies are sterile, but then again, in a homebirth, there are certain supplies and equipment which are sterile as well.

One of the benefits of a homebirth is that you and your baby are already very familiar with the bacteria and germs in your home. You have been living there and your baby has been living there for 9 months, so they are familiar to your bodies and your bodies already have some resistance to them.

Mom2Many made a wonderful comment on another thread when she said
    You pass antibodies on to your little one through the placenta and breastmilk to protect him/her from these familiar types of bacteria.

In this respect, home birth is sometimes seen as SAFER than hospital birth. The reason being that hospitals are filled with all kinds of bacteria and germs that are not familiar to you and your baby. These are germs that you may never have been exposed to before and have no built up immunity to pass on.
    A significant cause of longer hospital stays for mums who give birth in the hospital are Staph infections. The staphylococcus bacteria is highly prevalent in hospitals and is difficult for them to control. Truly, hospitals are for helping those who are sick, to get well. Giving birth to a baby is not an illness. Nearly all women who give birth in the hospital are not sick enough to be in the hospital. They are fairly healthy.

So the home is a far healthier environment for birth as long as you keep your home reasonably clean. This means cleaning your home as if you were having a business associate over for lunch (picked up, counters wiped down, floor swept, food put away, etc.).

As for sterilization of supplies, you would be asked to purchase a birth kit from a company that gets medical supplies from a hospital supply store. Sterilized gloves, unopened gauze squares, etc. etc. etc.

And as for equipment needed for emergency complications. I had one midwife who said that her clients needed to live within 10 minutes of a hospital and she also told me that it takes about 10 minutes for the hospital to set up the operating theatre for a C-Section anyway.

But that aside, midwives are very skilled with their hands and they monitor you very closely during birth - making sure that baby's heart tones are good. They will try different labour positions for mom, to help move labour along or get baby positioned better for delivery. They will use homeopathic remedies and/or herbal teas when needed. And they always have an oxygen tank, and many midwives are allowed to administer pitocin, a medication widely used in hospitals to start/maintain contractions and also is used to help the uterus clamp down after birth, to avoid/stop hemorrhage.

I'm not a midwife so I'm not familiar with what all a midwife carries in her "bag"/car but I have had 5 homebirths, and I had minor complications with my first, 3rd and 5th births, but my midwives were able to handle everything very well. If I had been in the hospital with my first, I most likely would have ended up having a C-Section. My baby's heart tones dropped towards the end, and my midwife needed to help me bring my baby down and out quickly. She gave me an episiotomy and then reached up with her hands and helped to bring that baby down with my contractions. My baby was slightly blue when she was born, so they just put a little oxygen under her nose and she pinked right up.

My 3rd baby was born with a congenital heart defect, and he had a hard time breathing well when he was born, so they took him into a steamy bathroom, and massaged him good. This baby did not need any assistance breathing with oxygen tank or resusci bag (both of which midwives carry) but we did find out a few weeks later that he would have to have open heart surgery.

With the birth of my 5th baby, I hemorrhaged after delivery, but with the assistance of herbs and some injections that my midwife gave me (it was probably pitocin), and some expert work with my midwife's hands, we were able to stop the bleeding and though I was pale, I was actually able to get up to take a shower without fainting. Baby was fine

When call for references on a midwife, I want to talk to women who have had problems during their birth, because I want to know what the midwife's skills are in less than perfect circumstances.

Midwives have a far lower C-Section rate than doctors do (i.e. the number of clients they transfer to the hospital who end up in C-Section). Midwives have a C-Section rate of about 3 1/2 %, as compared to doctors, which are between 25%-35%.

I spent 2 years researching homebirths before I got pregnant and I couldn't have made a better decision. I was totally relaxed at home, didn't have any needles in my arms (though they could have given an IV if needed), could eat and drink as I wanted to, could walk and labour in any position I wanted (or the midwife suggested) and could birth in my preferred position. On top of this, my last 2 births were water births, and were my easiest, fastest births of all (warm water is very relaxing).

Though hospitals are essential when complications occur which cannot be handled at home, a homebirth offers women the opportunity to allow themselves to labour at their own pace and birth occurs in it's own time with less likelihood of complications.

I would encourage you to learn more about homebirth here. There are lots of homebirth stories and resources to help you make the best decision for where you choose to celebrate birth.

Please let me know what your thoughts are after reading this and if you still have some concerns/questions. I'll be happy to share what I know.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate! I'm using another account, since I forgot the password of the first one. Thank you so much for such a comprehensive and very informative response. I appreciate it so much. A lot of insights gained from this response. Thanks again!

Josephine

Hi Josephine,

So glad you learned some new things :-) Knowing more about things helps us to make better choices and that's our goal here on these forums.

Warm Regards,

Kate