Nappy Area Blues

I have a nine month old daughter, and her name is Arrayah. She has had a clean record of not having many rashes. The other day, I opened up her nappy and found a few little red dots scattered around. One looked like a pimple. I have never seen one of these before in this particular area. Do you know why this happens, and what I can do to help her? I didn't want to pop it, but I do not want it to grow and get bigger. Please, if anyone has any ideas of how to give her comfort down below, I would appreciate your time.

Definitely do not pop it. It may be a diaper rash or even a slight yeast infection. Try to give her some naked time everyday and let it air out. If you are using cloth nappies, strip them to remove any potential yeast and consider switching to a different, gentler brand of laundry detergent. If you are using disposable nappies and the problem continue, you may want to purchase some cloth and give that a try.

There are many relatively natural diaper creams out there, Weleda is a good brand. This will ease her discomfort, though if it is yeast in nature you may need something else, either antibiotic ointment from her physician or gentian violet. Keeping the area clean and dry, and giving her some naked time every day will most likely nip any minor problem in the bud.

-Angela

Hi Emily,

How is your little Arrayah's nappy rash looking now? Is it cleared up or has it stayed the same or gotten worse?

Angela touched on a lot of good points, and my first thought was that it might be a yeast rash.

Has Arrayah had any antibiotics in the last 3 months?

On rashes that were not yeasty in nature, I used Weleda Calendula Nappy Cream with my 4th and 5th babies, after I learned about it from one of my midwives. It worked really well.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    Hi Emily,

How is your little Arrayah's nappy rash looking now? Is it cleared up or has it stayed the same or gotten worse?

Kate
    Hello Kate, and Angela! Thank you both SO much for replying! Arrayah still has a few bumps down in her nappy area. I think today, it is safe to say, that I should take her to see her physician. She has had antibiotics in the past three months, but it wasn't in the last couple of weeks or anything. The rash is not very bad right now, but there are still bumps. I will let you know what I find out. It might just be a regular rash, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Angela, one of the things I have thought about (which you mentioned) was changing the type of nappy. I have considered at one point, doing cloth diapers. But first let me take her to see the physician, and I will see what they say. Thank you both for your kind responses, and for being there for me!!

Emily

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the update!

Antibiotics wipe out all bacteria - the good and the bad. Good bacteria help keep yeast in check, and when you take antibiotics, yeast can often multiply out of control, causing thrush, yeast infections and yeast rashes in the nappy area.

Even though Arrayah hasn't had antibiotics in the past 2 weeks, she could still need some probiotics to help replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotics killed off. I would encourage you to give Arrayah some probiotics which may help to clear up the rash, and if it's not a yeast rash, it will also help with digestion and it's just really good for the body.

When I had little ones I would get the probiotics (acidophilus, bifidus, etc.) in capsule form, and break open a capsule into unsweetened applesauce. If your daughter is eating babyfood, you can mix the probiotics into the babyfood and serve it to her that way. Many brands of yoghurt have active probiotic cultures in it and will say so on the label.

Do let us know what the doctor says.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I would encourage you to give Arrayah some probiotics like acidophilus, bifidus, etc.