Unhappy Holding my baby upright

I was carrying my baby upright the other day and a woman said I can't carry her that way since her bones are still soft and she can't support her back yet. But when I tried to do cradle hold she started crying a lot letting me put her back to her new position. I asked my doctor about it and she said it's okay as long as I have my hand ready whenever she tries to lean back. I am quite scared now to hold her that way even though my doctor said it's okay. What should I do? Should I listen to that lady or my doctor?

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you have received some confusing information.

What type of baby carrier are you using?

Baby wearing is safe from a newborn. A supportive, age-appropriate good carrier is safer than carrying your baby in your arms. As long as you follow the TICKS safe babywearing guidelines there is no problem at all.

Are you referring to carrying your baby facing you in an upright position? Outward front facing is not recommended because of the position it puts the baby's spine in.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Carrying baby upfront and not holding her from back properly can be harmful. So, yes you need to place your hand behind her neck and shoulder portion and one down on back.