Co-sleeping, how to make child to sleep separately?

Many mums choose co-sleeping because it has some benefits, but one day they have a question "how to make child to sleep separartly?" Please share your experience here.

Great topic!
    I have 5 children and we have co-slept with all of them. I will explain how it worked for our last 3 kiddos as the first 2 are much older now and do sleep sometimes on their own.
    When our third child was born he slept in our bed from the day he was born, between mom and dad. When he was 4yo our 4th child was born and the new baby would sleep beside me and our 4yo would sleep beside the new baby or on the other side of dad. At some point this became a little difficult. We did have a king size bed and we all fit, except the children would lay sideways and dad would have a hard time getting a good nights rest. So we brought a twin size mattress into our room and placed it beside our bed on the floor. Many nights dad would sleep on the floor on the mattress while the kids slept in the big bed with mom. Some nights our 4yo would want to sleep with dad on the twin mattress. As time passed, dad would lay down with our 4yo and once he was asleep he would get in our big bed with mom and baby. As our 4yo turned 5 he would go straight to the twin bed on the floor and dad would rub his back and he would go straight to sleep and stay in the twin all night. some nights he would join us in the big bed. For the most part he gradually stayed in the twin all night.
    One day he mentioned that he wanted to sleep in his own room and he would go into his room at night and fall asleep. Some nights dad would go in with him and rub his back till he fell asleep. As our 5th child was born, we started the whole process over again. We didnt have a extra twin size mattress at the time and would make a small pallet on the floor for our then 3yo. He didnt mind sleeping on the floor as long as he was close to us. Dad would rub his back till he fell asleep.
    Now as everyone is a little older, we sometimes have many children come want to sleep with us still. Sometimes my 15yo daughter will want to sleep beside me, sometimes we have 3-4 kids in bed with us. For the most part we all get great sleep and feel very close as a family. I do find that the younger kids sleep great when they are beside a sibling. So sibling co-sleeping works great too.
    We've had one crib for 5 kids and never used it. After the first few children we got rid of the crib and life has been great!
    Looking forward to hearing from others on their journey with co-sleeping.
    Blessings

Thank you! Your story is very interesting!