Hybrid View

Family Planning/Spacing

I have two kids right now, both of them are quite young (20 months and 7 months). I don't want to have another child soon but I don't know which contraception options are available for a breastfeeding mum like me. Can you give me suggestions?

Hi Venus,

Breastfeeding itself can act as a natural contraceptive but this is most effective when you are exclusively breastfeeding (i.e. in the baby's first 6 months of life). If you do not want to have another child then you are right to consider other forms of contraception.

It is best to avoid 'combination contraceptives' since these can reduce your milk supply. These include the forms: the combination pill, monthly injection (Lunelle), the vaginal ring (Nuvaring) and the contraceptive patch (Orth Evra). These forms of contraceptives which should be avoided contain estrogen and progesterone.

What is recommended is progestin-only contraceptives. These include the forms: the mini-pill, birth control injection (Depo Provera), and the birth control implant.

Some women also choose to use natural birth control e.g. not having sex at the most fertile time of the month (by looking out for the signs of ovulation).

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi Venus,

I used a form of Natural Family Planning to avoid and achieve pregnancy over the course of 19 years. We used it with 100% success for avoiding pregnancy the first 7 years of marriage, and then conceived the first month we tried for our first baby, by reversing what we had been doing to avoid pregnancy.

I wrote a post entitled Natural Birth Control / Natural Family Planning which you might find interesting and helpful. Having lost my mother to hormonally driven breast cancer when she was only 48 years old, and knowing that all forms of hormonal birth control come with some risks, I chose to avoid pregnancy naturally. You are wise to do your research so you can choose what is best for you and your family.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I am very grateful to read your answers, LJ and Kate! I raised this question because my menstruation came back last month and it only means that I am again susceptible to pregnancy. I do not want my milk supply to decrease, so I might consider using natural birth control instead. I could also consider taking Progestin-only contraceptives, but I am afraid of any side effect. I will be reading Kate's post later in my free time. Thanks once again!

Do read my Natural Birth Control post and also my Signs of Fertility post so you can learn how to know when you're entering your fertile window (at which time you'll want to avoid sex) and how to know when you are no longer fertile (at which time you'll be able to resume unprotected sex).

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks a lot, Kate! Just finished reading both articles and they are very helpful. I am now wondering about your thoughts on using condoms. Would it be okay to use condoms during the fertile window?

Many couples use condoms during the fertile window though I knew someone who used a condom and when they were done, the condom had broken and she ended up getting pregnant that cycle. My husband and I often used the withdrawal method where my husband would pull out before ejaculation. Pregnancy can happen if there are sperm in the pre-ejaculate fluid (the slippery, clear fluid that comes out of the penis before ejaculation). There won't be a lot of sperm in this fluid, but pregnancy has occurred in some women who used the withdrawal method.

For us, we used this method for many years during my fertile window, and we avoided pregnancy.
    This is something my husband preferred (and he never wanted to use a condom) so this is what we did.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello there, Kate!

My apologies for responding a bit late. I will consider your advice. I have read your article regarding signs of fertility, and found it very more helpful and understandable than the others that I have already read outside of this forum. Kudos!

So glad you found the information on avoiding pregnancy naturally helpful. If you have any questions at all about your cycles, feel free to ask. Sometimes you may not understand exactly what your body is telling you, or how to read the different fertility signs (changes in mucus color and consistency) so it can be helpful to have another opinion if you're not sure.

Warm Regards,

Kate