Hybrid View

Worried to bleed

Hi,

I'm having a trouble, actually more on worrying because my doctor diagnosed my pregnancy as low lying placenta. I know that being in low lying placenta have the tendency or possibility of me bleeding. Now, the problem is, I never have encountered any bleeding yet and I still have hope that my condition would be reverse and I'm ashamed to ask my doctor about this, but my husband is very persistent and insisting me to make love to him. I'm worried if that would make my situation worse. Is it okay to have intercourse with your husband while your in that state? Even if we do it gently?

How long ago were you diagnosed? Most physicians and midwives recommend waiting 6-8 weeks before having sexual intercourse. Sometimes this will give the placenta time to move. I really think you should listen to your caregiver's advice. Also, you should not be ashamed to ask your care provider about your concerns, this is what they are there for = )

-Angela

I was 4 months pregnant when my doctor diagnosed my condition. I will ask her about my problem, thank you for responding my question.

Hi megken22,

I believe that I had a low lying placenta in my last pregnancy. I did not have an ultrasound, but my midwife mentioned that the placenta was low.

My husband and I made love regularly throughout my pregnancy and the only indication that I may have had a low lying placenta was that I had quite a bit of blood when I first went into labour, which is not normal. Normally you'll have some bloody show as the cervix dilates, but I was wiping a lot more blood than I had with my other pregnancies. It was concerning to me, so as soon as I told my midwife, she hopped in the car and came right over.

Other than that, the placement of the placenta did not cause any problems.

I would highly recommend that you ask your doctor if it is okay for you to have sex. After all, this is what he deals with day in and day out (issues relating to sex, doing vaginal exams, etc.), and he already knows that you have sex (after all, you're pregnant) so you shouldn't be embarrassed to ask, and he definitely won't be embarrassed to answer.

If you feel you can't ask him, then I would just be gentle and see how you feel and if you have any bleeding after gentle intercourse. Watch how your body responds. It will tell you what is good for it and what is not. I would think that if your doctor did not tell you not to have sex, that it would be okay, but you could always just call the doctor's office and ask the nurse. Your husband needs your closeness and if it is okay to have sex, then you'll be free to enjoy that with your husband anytime you want... and you'll have a happy husband, too

Please post back and let us know if you talk to the doctor's office and what they say, so others can learn from your experience.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you for the advice.. I'll try telling my doctor about my problem on my next session with her.

You are most welcome. Let us know what she says

Kate