Administrator

Can you prepare for an unexpected outcome?

At the recent Pregnancy and Parenting Network we explored lots of issues surrounding unexpected outcomes. The aim of the discussion was to explore unexpected outcomes including arming yourself with knowledge, how to be empowered if a transfer from a homebirth, a supportive environment and birth planning. It was a huge topic and difficult to tackle as on one had we plan for a wonderful homebirth and don't want to think about the 'What ifs...'

The points brought up during the discussion were:
    • Educating yourself by reading, internet, discussion with your midwife and attending classes
    • Having a discussion during pregnancy about unexpected outcomes
    • Preparing your partner and birth support team ahead of time with your choices
    • Consider formulating a birth plan for both a homebirth and a plan if a transfer becomes necessary
    • Tour the hospital facilities

Can you prepare for an unexpected outcome? Did you? What are your thoughts on this topic?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Well with my first son I did not have anytihng planned at all. I basically did not know that i was going to have a casarean at all. I went to the doctor one morning and he told me that I had to go to the hospital so that I can have the baby. I forgot that I was actually overdue at that time. I am making sure to try and plan for my second one even though I am already set up for a date.