By Jo Hunter
Placenta is rich in iron and protein, is full of oxytocin and oestrogen and packed with other vitamins and minerals.
There is anecdotal evidence that suggests that placenta pills assist with recovery after birth.
It is believed that placenta pills:
- Assist the uterus to return to its pre-pregnancy state
- Replenish depleted iron
- Reduce postnatal bleeding
- Regulate hormones
- Boost energy levels
- Prevent postnatal depression
- Assist milk supply
- Assist with the symptoms of menopause
Some of the benefits according to women I have worked with:
- “I just felt so much better in the weeks after this birth than the others”
- “I had so much more energy than I expected”
- “They helped on days which were particularly emotional. I took a few of the placenta pills and they made me feel better”
- “I wish I had of known about placenta pills for my previous pregnancy”
For those interested in making pills from their placenta, I have put together a photo diary of the process.
Wash the placenta under running water to remove excess blood.
Cut off membranes and umbilical cord
Place the placenta in a steamer, pop on lid and steam on the stove top for about 20 minutes
Cut up steamed placenta into thin pieces
Place in a food dehydrator on 45 degrees C for at least 6 hours. You can also dry out the placenta on a baking tray in your oven. Put the oven on the lowest temperature possible and place the placenta in overnight.
Grind the dehydrated placenta pieces in a coffee grinder
You can also use a mortar and pestle
Place the larger half of the capsules into the ‘cap ‘m’ quik’. Place the top part of the capsules onto the bottom part of the capsules. Fill the capsules with ground placenta.
Voila. you have placenta pills!
You don’t need to have a ‘cap’m’quik’ machine. I purchased one because it makes the process a lot quicker and I am making these pills regularly. You can also just fill each pill by hand. Depending on the Size of the placenta you will get between 150 – 250 pills. Its recommended to take 2 pills, twice a day for 2 weeks postpartum. If you choose to you can keep the remaining pills 10 use during menopause.