Looking back I had prodomal labour for at least a week prior to her birth. After numerous false starts, especially in the evenings … it was all starting to wear very thin. On the 16th May when I was 40 weeks 3 days I had a stretch and sweep where i was already 3-4cm & 50% effaced with a posterior cervix and could be stretched to 5cm. I had an achy and crampy afternoon with lots and lots of bloody mucous with occasional tightenings. Later that evening lovely, strong and mildly painful contractions started around 9pm but after a few hours and early into the next morning they all but fizzled out. When I woke up that morning after just two hours sleep I was just devastated to discover I was still pregnant and nothing was happening.

The homebirth of Miss Maggie Rose

I spent most of my last day of pregnancy on the Tuesday acting like a complete 2 yr old and feeling utterly sorry for myself. By late afternoon I had started to cheer up, refocused and resigned myself to the fact I could have at least another week to go. I rang our local acupuncture clinic and booked in for an acupuncture induction for 10.15am the next day and tried not to have a dummy spit that acupuncturist could not fit me in that same afternoon. We had dinner and later that evening I sent my midwife Melissa a message letting her know about the acupuncture idea and if it was possible to have another stretch and sweep on the Thursday because full moon or not this kid was never coming out.

I relaxed on the couch and finished crocheting another beanie with Frances the cat perched on top of my bump. At about 9.45pm I started having the odd tightening, they weren’t regular or painful. My good mood quickly disappeared and I thought here we go again … another night of no sleep and no baby. I decided to have half a glass of red wine to relax, which did wonders! I should have done this every night for the last week. I didn’t mention the odd tightenings to Hippy Brad, I put them down to just Braxton Hicks and I was pretty sure he was tired of me saying ‘maybe tonight’s the night’. So at 11pm we checked out the full moon outside which was so so beautiful. We were both thinking this should have been the night! Hippy Brad always said Baby G was coming on May 17th the night of the full moon, I knew he was a little disappointed. After this we headed off to bed where he promptly fell asleep. I just rested for awhile thinking about what I had to do the next day and wondering what the acupuncture appointment would bring.

The homebirth of miss maggie roseI had only just started falling asleep when at 12.40am I had a strong contraction lasting about 90 secs, but It still didn’t hurt at all just intense pressure. At the end of the contraction I felt/heard an ‘internal click’ like a rubber band snapping. I though gosh that’s strange I wonder if this is the start of anything and waited to see if another contraction would follow. But 3 mins later @12.43am there was a huge gush of lovely warm fluid and I just couldn’t stop smiling, this was finally it!!. There was a lot of fluid, my cervix was literally a garden hose that had been just turned on and the whole bed was absolutely soaked. I woke Hippy Brad to tell him and he quickly jumped out of bed while I waddled to the bathroom to check if the water were clear, they were … phew. I jumped in the shower while Hippy Brad got busy changing the sheets on the bed. Contractions started straight away, 2-3 mins apart, strong, couldn’t walk or talk through them but still not that painful. I was so happy I felt my waters break I never had that experience with my other 3 and it was awesome! For some reason Hippy Brad thought we were all going back to bed for another sleep. I had to quietly tell him this was it, labour has started and we needed to get organised. Very reluctantly he started setting up the birthing pool wondering what all the hurry was about.

I sat on my birthing ball in the kitchen breathing slowly through my contractions. I figured I had at least another 6 hours of labour ahead of me and started to worry about the kids waking up when it was time for school and who would take them? etc. I said to Hippy Brad we really need to have this baby before 6am, that would be perfect timing! Whilst I was sitting there on the ball I had another huge gush of clear fluid. So much fluid!! this left a massive puddle on the kitchen floor. Now it was around 1.15am and contractions picked up with strength & intensity and started to hurt. I was also beginning to feel a little bit of rectal pressure with them and decided to go sit on the toilet and see if anything needed to happen there. Nothing was happening on the toilet, I couldn’t believe it was the baby’s head causing the pressure so soon. At 1.43am I yelled out to Hippy Brad who was pumping up the pool that now would be a good time to call Melissa. I got off the toilet and started running a bath. Our bath is only little but I thought at least i can sit in here until the pool was ready. Contractions were coming 2-3 mins apart, lasting 90secs and super strong now. I really had to focus, close my eyes and breathe deeply through them. Around 2am I started wondering what time Melissa would come and I was thankful we called her when we did. When she showed up around 2.15am I breathed a huge sigh of relief and started to relax.

Melissa checked out Baby G’s heartbeat which was lovely and my BP too which was fine. I told her I was doing ok but feeling lots of pressure and really needed to get in the pool. Melissa went off to see how Hippy Brad was doing and came back to say it wasn’t ready just yet. I could hear Hipp